Saturday 9 May 2009

Sunday 10th May 2009 - Pannawonica - WA

Hi Boys & Girls,

I thought that before I start this weeks Blog, that you may want to know the terminology that I am encountering. I had mentioned before that I am part of a Tribe known as the “Grey Nomads” (I have noticed to that they are all well into their 80’s) and have travelled from all parts of Australia, e.g:like 8 days travel from Adelaide to Exmouth, to spend 5 Months of the Winter in the North, they exist weekly by awaiting payment of their pensions and if they feel like moving they will do just that, until the pension runs out, then they go on again.(I have decided not to be one of this Tribe).

Then there is the term “Around the Block” that means that anyone, and there are many, including me, who are travelling around the Coast of Australia, and are just going around the block (The last time I went around the block, I had just bought my 1st car, a Standard 10 for £5) and my 1st driving lesson was once around the block. (Mike you will remember that!)

Without exception everyone wishes you a “Good Morning” – “How are you” – “Hows it going” the proverbial “G’Day Mate” and they mean it, (Unlike the “Have a nice dayeeeee” syndrome that we all love) they could not be more helpful, and once they hear the accent, “Behold” they will engage you in conversation and let you know of their very strong connections with the UK.

Pollies (Politicians) are like back home, a laughing stock, on the left we have the Labour (Labor) Party shouting at the Liberals “Wankers! And a plague on all your Policies” with the Liberals on the right, arguing amongst themselves as to “Who has the largest swinging Dick!” (Not my words, they come straight out of today’s National “The Australian” Newspaper) If only it was like this in the UK, we would then be interested in Politics would we not?

Beaches: Now the children have all gone home after the Winter Break, the Beaches are denuded of people and I have spent this week at Exmouth (A National Park) where there are no people, and to spend a day on a 5 mile stretch of Beach “T-bone Bay”, or walk a 10 mile beach on one’s own, is absolutely magical.

Wild-Life: Again, predominantly Kangaroo’s and Emu’s are everywhere, and yet again many dead by the wayside, also there are “Termite Cities” huge mounds of ant-hills that are taller that Nut Cracker Sweet and that stretch for miles across the Countryside, each holding a Billion Ants, they rule this part of the World.

Costs:
Thought you would like to know some costs, Food is the same as the UK, just a shade more expensive where you are out in the sticks, Meat is cheap, that is a T-Bone steak for £3, come on folks it cannot be real! Camping Park charges cost about £10 per night with power, showers, toilets etc available and very clean.

Petrol & Diesel now at 85p per Litre is creeping up as I travel north and the qualities of the Roadhouses are going downhill fast.

I am about to move into the lower end by using the “Free Sites” which are pretty basic and have no charge, but also no facilities. I shall let you know, NCS is self-sufficient and I carry all I need, but it will be an experience.

The National Parks that have, of course, the best beaches charge about £5 for entry and have cheap camping sites, will also try them as and when necessary.

Beer is extortionate at £4.50p per Pint and is not worth it, how the Australians have accepted this situation, I do not know! I am awaiting the Revolution!!

Friday 8th May @ 3.00pm: Well I have now travelled another 633 Klicks (395 miles) North and am parked on my 1st Overnight Free Campsite, it is a treat (It costs nothing!) and to meet other happy Campers, all of whom make a point of coming across, saying hello and inviting you to partake later that night.

Funnies! I have just passed 2 people on bicycles, they are peddling like mad in the direction I have come from, and there is nothing behind me for 200 miles!! Where are they going? Then along comes a motorbike with a trailer! They are fully kitted up and must be boiling away to nothingness!

Tomorrow, Saturday I travel about 46 klicks to stay with Alex & Toni Reid in Pannawonica, a Real Mining Town, where they both have kindly arranged for me to visit the Iron-Ore Mine where they both work, and as they both drive these absolutely Huge Tipper Trucks, the photos should be good and I should have improved my education on Mining.

Photo’s: As I have taken about 100 photo’s to-date, and since I have declared that my intent is not to rub it in, I thought that next weeks Blog, (now that I have learnt to up-load photo’s) will be a selection of them, so you are forewarned, just do not open them up!

Tragedies: I had meant to tell you this way back, but I thought that the Post would catch up with me by now, but to-date nothing! It is that one of the parcels I sent ahead of me, has gone astray, it would be the one that contains all my diaries from the 80’s when I was last here, you know the one’s that contains all the names, addresses, telephone numbers of all those people that I knew, one parcel did come out to Australia and was read wrong and sent back, I am hoping the same has happened again, if so I will be lucky, if not then, I will remain bereft of that information.

Accident I am afraid, I closed the tailgate of NCS right on my Nobes (Nose) and as my mother used to call me a little bleeder, I know she was right! Not broken, but a gash all the same.

Yes! Things do come in 3’s, I arrived in Pannawonica early (Surely not early some of you would say?) and managed to use a Caravan Park facilities, like the Ablution Block to S,S&S, then after 6 weeks of motoring gave NCS the best wash & brush-up she had ever had, and boy! Did she look good!

I then parked outside the home of my Friends Alex & Toni, only to have later that day, a chap in the house opposite, reverse out at speed and ran into the side of NCS, Damage? Superficial, but it will now be the inconvenience of getting it repaired, it has been suggested that I wait till I get to Broome, (800 klicks – 480 miles away, there is possibly no-one in between.) before I get a quote!!!!!!!!

Coffee: This is for the Girls at Costa’s Coffee CafĂ© in Weymouth, No Girls! There is no where to get a decent coffee here like you make it Girls, although there was a close 23rd and it was called “Brumby’s” in Exmouth. Thanks Girl’s.

So now I shall just “Sod Off” for this week.

See you in 7days!


Nigel JG

No comments:

Post a Comment