Thursday 28 May 2009

Broome - Friday 29th May 2009

Hi All,

Here in Broome for 8 days now, came via Whim Creek and 80 Mile Beach, just 500 miles North of Karratha, it has taken a 7 hour drive, NCS looks good in her new coat of many colours (She wanted a little black number!) but she has responded by being just perfect, apart from a few stutters 30 klicks of here, I think I may have mixed a premium Fuel with the normal grade, she does not like that one bit! Petrol prices are creeping up again now upto 86p per litre on the Higway, a captive audience folks!.

I had an email from John Van Voss of Holland (I have posted it for you to read) who questioned the detail of Karrathas Prices, exclaiming that I must know that it is an expensive place, due to the Miners being paid ultra salaries from mining Gold, Iron Ore, Oil, Gas, Alumna, Copper and Coal from the Pilbara Region. John I know that! but this Blog is a a round-robin to many people, if I was to explain in great detail everything, the blog would be 20 pages long. But I Welcome you to the Club and your contribution, Keep them coming Mate!

Yes! I do agree that I may have been a mite unkind to Karratha, due I am sure to the problems with NCS and the so-called Insurance Company. Karratha is a nice Town, the people were very hospitable Great shopping Mall, and the kind of Township that does represent the Pilbara Region.

I stayed at the Peninsular Palms Hotel at Dampier for 2 days (16 Klicks away from Karratha) which was not a Hotel as such, but a very large complex catering for 500+ Contract Workers, quite the best value for money anywhere, $A125 bought you a super room, 3 meals a day, communal wash-facilities and great customer service, which compared at $A350 per day down-town Karratha Hotel which bought you nothing but a room and surly service.

It was at Dampier (The Burrup Peninsular) that a few days exploring, exposed oneself to a Multitude of Aboriginal Drawings (50,000 Years Old) there were so many it posed the question why? (Photo's coming, especially the Copulating Couple) the scene was Rock Formations that looked like they had been tipped out of the back of a lorry, but no! they were the original Rock Formations (I am sure that a geologist would have an answer).

Driving: Highway littered with Wallabies on the way up, also many Cattle (They must be losing a fortune?) but there again the herds are many 1,000's strong.

Saw 1st Accident, South of Whim Creek, 4x4 in front (About 3 miles away) hit a very large Bull that had just wandered into the Road, Bull deaded, 4x4 a write-off but driver OK, since I was only 15 klicks from Whims Creek (the advice is to stay with your vehicle) once I had ascertained the Driver was OK, I reported it at Whims Creek Tavern and they took care of the necessary.

Met some Folks that evening who told me they were going to visit Whims Creek Tavern, since they had not been there since 1966, I told them it had not changed one bit!

Stayed overnight at De Grey River Camp-Site (Freebee)it was the best so far, shaded by Giant Gum Tree's, Camp-Fires burning, and a very large River alongside, about 25 Caravans were camping, obviously a favourite communal site, also saw my 1st Crocodile. Whilst having a Glass of Sherbert with 2 other people on the river-edge, we espied in the centre of the river, what was first thought to be a log, but noticing that the log has surfaced twice and seemed to cast an eye in our direction, we stepped back smartly, "It was a crocodile!!!!"

Funnies: Here at the Broome Towns Beach Camp-Site we are assailed every evening at 5pm prompt by a lady who plays the Accordian, they are all the old favourites, she told me all she needed was someone to sing-along. Stop Folks! I have sealed lips and did not fall into that one, even though I am a Welshman, there is an adage that says "1 Welshman is a problem, 2 are bloody trouble, 3 are a Choral Society" buit she plays beauitfully boyo's!!

Walking into Town, there is a large daubed sign that exclaims "There are no Jobs on a Dead Planet!" - True!

Wildlife: Forgot to mention "Budgies" there are 1,000,000's, plus lots of Crocodiles now, Ibis, Sea Eagles (Look like the American Bald Eagle), Hawks, they also have one bird that is extremely raucous (Looks like a Starling) but has great bright plumage, Magpies are not black & white, they are White and black and are very fond of sweeping down and pecking at the top of your head! Bastards! and of course, the poor old Wallabies, seem 2 Iguana's who just sail across the road and in the old tradition of Sail before Steam, you just slow down and let them sail away.

Photo's: I have not forgotten, it is just that Libraries (Which I normally use) do not allow Photo's to be sent, I have now about 200, but I do have an idea, so do not be surprised if you have on an email a zipped-File of photo's, they will last about 3 hours and I shall have to visit you and explain each on at great length??

Weather: Now coming into Autumn here (Winter in the South) had a few days rain, but nothing to write home about, still at 30 degrees and getting very humid, now sleeping in the "Nuddies" (Hope there are no Fires?) but I will survive.

Health: Looked in the long mirror the other day and my "Love handles" have disappeared, better get a "Full Monty Breakfast" down me before I fade away, but to know my 12 pack is starting to show is embarrassing!

Broome: Yes! John Van Voss is right, it is a major Cattle Exporting Port, but it is also Australia's Centre for Pearl Fishing, started in the 1880's by Chinese/Thais'/Malays/Filipinos/Japanese and Europeans, you can see the traces of all the Nationalities in the Population as you walk the streets. There are many Retail Pearl Shops, they are a delight to behold and prices? I shall not mention.

Aboriginal's: There are a very large Population of Aboriginals in this area, they are interesting to observe (I experienced them at close quarters the last time here during the 80's) They are a Tribal People with many Tribes and Tribal Lands, they are referred to as "The Indigenous People" which I believe to be a blanket description and a little unfair. They are in Stature & Colour (Very Black) to be the same, but they are not, like the Indian Tribes of North America (Sioux - Apache - Cheyenne) they have many Tribal names like: Yawuru-Djugan-Goolarbabooloo-Bardi-Jawi-Nimanbura-Nyal Nyal-Jabirr Jabir- Karajarri and Nyanguarta peoples, and that is just in this area. Their average Life-Span is just 45 years but, they have a proven existance spanning 50,000 Years.

This specific region is where "The Dreamtime" - "Bugarrigarra" originated and rippled throughout Australia using "Song-Cycles" which relayed the stories of "The Dreamtime", so there is just cause perhaps, to address these people by their Tribal names (Though they are long and difficult to pronounce) methinks that in doing that the word "Pride" would infect their physque to everyone's advantage, as at the moment there is an under-current of neglect and unhappiness which is very evident.

I have now completed my 2nd Full Sightsavers presentation to the Broome Rotary Club (Completed 4 presentations in all to-date) they were delighted to have a Guest Speaker from 11,000 miles away who had flown in specially for the night? they have made a promise to review their Charitable Donations and include "Sightsavers" into the fold so to speak. Thank you Folks.

Poor Ole "Nutcracker Sweet" has had a hiccup, although in preparation for going further North, (Oiled, Watered & TLC) she failed to start, Garage suggested batteries (So bought 2 - 75 quid each!!) then an Electrician arrived, who charged A$100 Call-out fee, to find that the Relay between the Starter-Motor and the Alternator needed replacing (Cost A$6), as I write this Blog, I am having her checked out so that there are no more problems, being stuck 250 miles in between major towns would not be funny!!

Tomorrow (Saturday) I head North to Derby, which is very Tropical and Humid, they have told me locally don't do it (Go to Derby they mean) then onto Fitzroy Crossing (Again Don't do it they say!) en-route to Kunnanarra, but I have places that I "Must stop at" and I shall report on my next Blog what the results of those visits are.

The next Blog may well have a gap, this is because further North it is Wilderness and the ability to get to an Email site may well be difficult, but hang-on in there Folk, as I shall return!

Kind Regards

Nigel JG













1 comment:

  1. From the woodspoilers at Fleet Lane to the famous outback explorer visiting Dampier Land on foot.
    We understand you are now enjoying Kangaroo steaks with Widgery grubs soaking in Aussie wine.
    Weather improving here and a day on Abbotsbury beach planned for the weekend.
    Keep well- carry on rolling- hope to exchange blogs soon.
    Cheers
    Pete's Gang

    ReplyDelete