Sunday 3 May 2009

Monday 4th May 2009 - Exmouth


This is my Aspiration!!

Well Folks,


A little later than the normal 7 days, but it has been a busy time, places to go, people to meet, things to do.

There is a catch-up from last weeks Blog, and that is that I did not give Ron (Bunbury) his just desserts. Ron is Cardiff lad who came out here many years ago and instigated, developed, and nurtured, “Soccer” in South West Australia, with many of the Clubs having a “Red Dragon” as part of their logos. Shortly he will be organising another of Soccer’s “Hall of Fame Events” (Happens every 5 years) where Ron in his Presidential mode, will be the Master Organiser.

As I have said before, the Master Plan on the envelope is now way off course, the help and advice from everybody, has meant that there are places that I must visit, based upon local knowledge, and they are proving to be just that, Thanks Folks.

I also said that I did not want this Blog to be a “Wish you were here” Blog; I want it to reflect events as they arise and those that overtake me as I mosey along.

The route is the Coastal Highway, which runs all around Australia and is Number 1, for those that have a map and are following avidly.

I am now into my 2nd week and having reached Exmouth, via Bunbury – Perth – Dongara – Kalbarri – Denham - Monkey Mia (Where Dolphins swim with people) - Carnavon – Coral Bay and now Exmouth, distance? 1813 Klicks (1,133 Miles). My initial plan was to do about 100 miles a week, now blown right out of the water because of the great distances involved, and that many locations are not about 50 miles apart they are 250 miles apart.

Driving: Cost are now escalating, from the initial 52p per litre in Perth, now an average of about 70p per litre as I move further North (Delivery costs).

Roads: They are straight as a Die and the only way I can describe the conditions is that they are empty, it is like getting on the M1 at Leeds and the car in front of you is in Northampton.

Wild Life: In abundance, Eagles, Foxes, Dolphins, Sheep, Cattle, Emus, Goats, Pelicans and Fish galore, all shapes and sizes, and the poor old Kangaroo’s? They are now very evident and everywhere, but the Roads are littered with dead ones, hundreds of them, (Methinks that there are none left!).

Funnies: Arrived in Dongara and booked into Camper Park, only to hear a Beautiful Welsh Lilt from the receptionist, (It was Margaret from Llandeilo) who gave another Welsh person all the help he needed.


How about T.BONE & SON (Butchers) or a Cafe where you can have coffe and a massage!!


At Kalbarri it was ANZAC Day, and boy! do they do it in style,

The First Service was at 6am, this commemorates the start of the day for Soldiers past preparing for Battle, then at 11am the main Service, which is attended by everyone especially the young who are being reminded that “Lest we Forget” and “We will Remember Them” are poignant reminders of the debt we all owe the fallen. It was here that I also met with Len Mitchell (They do not have Mayor’s) the Head Honcho of Kalbarri, who through the Rear Admiral (Guest speaker at the service) whom I had the opportunity to discover he and his wife had a very strong connections with Weymouth & Portland.


The photos that I took of the ANZAC memorial on Weymouth Promenade have been sent to them and they want to start to discussions on Kalbarri possibly twinning with Weymouth (I have put this matter in hand).

At Shell Beach (Near Denham) I met Sharon & Brian from the Lake District, who are down-under for 6 weeks. We found that they, by coincidence, and I, were booked into the same Camper Parks, and boy! Did we get on well; they will remain a cherished memory of this trek.

SightSavers International: Am making progress Folks, now had 2 meetings, 1st in Bunbury (Through Ron) whereby a Town Councillor Derek Spencer, who has a Network of noted people throughout Australia, has kindly put my details in the pipeline to all the Rotaries, Lions Clubs, Chambers of Commerce et al, for them to make contact with me to book dates for a Guest Speaker.
Thanks Derek.

Then in Carnarvon (No relation to Caernarfon – This is named after Lord Carnarvon of the Mummy Tutten Ka Mun fame) I met with the President of the Rotary Club, but since I had missed their regular meeting, he gave me the Directory of all the Rotary Clubs in Australia, so I can now make bookings well in advance. Thank you.

I was asked this week (email) if I was lonely and if I was Happy? Well! In short form I am both, because they are both relatives, a) I have been on my own for nigh on 90% of my live, the nature of the work that I have done, so I have never been that lonely and b) Happiness is egg shaped, round and oval and effected by the people you meet, events that take place, they are what determines happiness at any one time, the answer? “I am perfectly happy in my own skin.”

To finish this week on a Good News note, I have lost a stone in weight, feel great, walking every day, now swimming every day and eating regular, (Kangaroo meat tastes beautiful), and am now a slighter shade of Black! (For those of you who say “Bugger Off Nigel” I shall).

Back in 7 days Folks.

Nigel JG

No comments:

Post a Comment