Monday 12 October 2009

13th October 2009 (Birthday Boy day) - Cairns.


Hello Everyone,

This is my 2nd Blog from Cairns and into my 7th Month of my trek, having had tours, explanations et al from all and sundry, and having recovered from my Cold, I feel like a short up-date will be the order of the day!

Since this is Korea’s National Day (031009) and I met a crowd of them rehearsing with their big noisy concert to celebrate, I have been asked to include them into my blog, they feel a little miffed that I had mentioned everyone else but I had omitted them. Funny that! However, since my involvement with Koreans in my working life, they did seem to lack that confidence about themselves, these comments confirmed that perception.

I have reversed my view on Cairns and the surrounding Touristy bits. Tourism is the Major Industry here with a very limited life-span, due to what is called “The Big Wet” (The Monsoon Season) which starts about November and finishes in March, with Rain Falls as high as 15 inches in a day.

Therefore, the Tourist Industry has to get the most out of its market, like any Holiday Resort! Hence, it’s looking like, behaves like, and resembles Blackpool.

Funnies: I like travelling on Buses, Trains etc and having caught the bus quite a few times in and out of Cairns and having stopped every time at my usual “getting off stop”. I was truly amazed having pressed the “dinger” for my stop, to find us go sailing past, yelling at the Bus-Driver to stop, he shouted back “We never stop at this place”. Well, as you can imagine a slight tussle between us as to who was in the right, he again shouted “that if he stopped, he would be fined A$400 (£200)” and that I would have to go to the end of the line, so the end of the line it had to be!

All the other drivers, after this escapade, stopped at my usual stop.

It was suggested for me that to get good deals, I should pretend to be a local, and use the Camp Address as my local contact point.

Well! And to test the water, I went into a Hotel and asked the price per night, it was just A$195 (£99). I then asked if as a local I could get a better deal, they suggested that I went on-line and became a member of their Club. I did just that, and in due course, I receive an email that informed me, that as a New Member my “Welcome Pack” was waiting for me at their reception, along I go and collect same.

My membership card was Black in colour and my membership number was (Wait for it!) – 666 - (the devil incarnate). When I applied for the best room rate as a member, the price was A$104, a slight reduction of 50% in round figures; I have since learnt that the average reduction for locals is 40% off everything!

Miscellaneous: Sorry Guys but the Bucket shop contact for Airline Tickets is
andrew.hawthorne@travelmood.com (Forgot the dot between his names).

NCS: I have worked wonders on NCS, she looks good and loved, I have taken her for a tour of the various Touristy places and she performed well. I now have the Australian habit of washing her and polishing her on a regular basis, but I have also learnt that the reason for people being so keen on having clean vehicles, is that back home in the Southern half of the Country, there is severe water-rationing and people are not allowed to wash their vehicles at all, so when they get to the North and water is aplenty, then a washing they do go!

Transport: Mike, petrol is down to £0.57p per litre, I know you will find it shocking!

I have also been, on occasions, been asked if I am a pensioner, my reply is always yes! Well that is a fact is it not? And bus fares have been automatically reduced to half-price thought if they ask me to prove it; I shall show them my UK Bus-Pass.

Reflections: I had thought on occasions, that having achieved what I set out to do, and now being many 1,000’s of Klicks further on in my trek, that the UK looked tempting and perhaps I would return home. However, the news out of the UK, reflected here in the newspapers, is that the UK is in dire straights; therefore I have decided not to add to the burden of the UK further, and return possibly in 2010.

Being a Mate, is a very important word here, it stems from the Military conflicts that Australia has been involved in over many years, and has evolved into the everyday use, with “Alright Mate?” as the most commonly used phrase. There is a positive attempt by at least 90% of people I have met, to live up to its general meaning, and they are very helpful in advice or assistance as and when needed. (I experience instances everyday)

It also binds the Australians into a “Togetherness” frame of mind, instil and retain a sense of “Social Cohesion” & “Nationalism”, which we in the UK have sadly lost.

Should however mention the coarseness of the Language, which is used in everyday terms, e.g. the word F**K is the norm’ (Along with every other known expletive) and spoken by all, Men, Women, and Children, not as a single expletive, but as an expression that covers every known situation. When you are first exposed to it, it hurts your ears! However, you then learn to understand that it is the Culture, based upon the harshness, first experienced by Convicts, and then the long haul through operating in very harsh climatic conditions, by the Pioneers, then the Miners and now the general populace.

No Apology I am afraid!
I have been taken to task over my enthusiasm for what seems to be all things Australian, No Folks again it is speaking as I find.

Flora & Fauna: Crocodiles abound now and they are seen everyday both at sea and in the local creeks. There are trees of local fruit Mango’s, Pineapple Bushes, Oranges, Limes, Coconuts, and streams that flow full with Fish of all types, including
Turtles.

Celebrations: This week (131009), I am a Birthday boy, which I have shared with my neighbours next door, Tanya (Birthday Girl) Victor and their Son Anthony, my friends Brett (Birthday Boy) & Carlie who have come up from Townsville enroute to going to the Tip of Australia – Cape York. The joint celebration was the renowned B.B.Q and lots of
Amber Nectar.

That Folks is the short version; I shall shortly be travelling again very hard down the East Coast of Australia, and will include Tasmania. I shall try and fore-warn you of my planned route, but methinks like my original intention, it will change daily, but watch this space, and you will be amazed!

Keep Well.

Nigel J Gauder
13th October 2009
.

3 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Nigel it was Steves on the 18th (yesterday ) Love reading your Blog. Keep in touch.
    Christina & Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi nigel, It's the prospecter here, at last I have found your blog. I see you heard about the big crock at Berry Springs, so you see it was not only fish in the lakes we swam in. Coominya is waiting to meet the "HAPPY WONDERA" Keep enjoying the trip . Dad {Alec )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey from Hughenden Nigel...you actually made the Whisper this week...(or will tomorrow...) I have copied your latest blog to keep everyone updated on your whereabouts...
    Sounds like you are having a good time...
    take care, Nicci and the rest of Hughenden...xxx

    ReplyDelete