Sunday 19 July 2009

Hugenden - 20th July 2009


Hi everyone! that is all 140 followers, not just those who have kindly placed their photo’s, but includes all those who have been reading my Blog’s, (so Google informs me!)

This has been Hughenden, (382 Klicks - 240 Miles West of Townsville) where I have been ensconced for 12 days, awaiting the result and repairs to “The Nutcracker Sweet”. (Blew a head-casket I am afraid, through a new hose-fitting – yet another garage faux paux – of not being tightened properly)

I have decided that this enforced pause, enables me to become to official Tour Guide for Hughenden, I have visited, and talked to every person (methinks!) examined every Building (methinks!) attended the local Cloncurry v Hughenden Rugby League Match (My 1st in 20 years, the other being at Warrington v St.Helens. (Where my schoolboy friend Francis Wilson played pro’ football) Hughenden lost by a disputed margin 34 to 33 (Silly Ref’) with a Horse Dressage session on the Sunday afternoon even visited the 2 Churches, who both had congregations of only 4 people.

The RAC have looked after me this time, put me up in a local Hotel for 6 nights (The Royal - what else!) and after sleeping on a Garage Forecourt, with Road-Trains passing every 10 minutes, this is shades of Paradise and I am wallowing in it, letter of thanks off to the RAC, this day!

I have had time to place an Awning Rail onto NCS, she loves it! All I want now is some Sun?? (Or Rain!) But I had better not speak out of turn!

Whilst here, I tried to contact both the Lions and the Rotary Clubs, but due to falling membership they folded 2 years ago. Never mind, I contacted and had an interview with “The Flinders Whisper” a local Newspaper with a 2500 circulation (Goes to print Wednesday 15th July) web page;
www.hughenden.com They have very kindly printed a story (page 8/9) on Sightsavers International, that will get the message out there into the local Public Domain, and I am helping to put the paper together (Chief Stapler) on the 15th.

Thanks to both Ann O’Driscoll and Nicci Angus of “The Whisper” for their support (Photo in the rogues gallery). Please note; a Scots Lady an Irish Lady and a Welshman! Strewth Maties!!

Also tried to contact the local RSL (Returned Servicemens League)
to offer a Sightsavers Presentation, but they only meet once a year, ANZAC Day, cannot wait around for a year I am afraid!

My routine during my enforced stay has been to arise about 7am, a full S.S. & S (if you can work that one out?) Then to downtown Hughenden, to the Newsagent for my paper “The Australian” (for the crossword) then a Coffee and two rounds of buttered toast, like my Mother used to make it! (A habit of 45 years), to the Library or Telecentre to do my emails et al, then to the Greengrocers owned by an American Great Guy! to get my daily fruit intake, (2 Apples/2 juicy Pears). Then a check-up on Spiro (The garage where NCS is parked) to get the latest news (Good or Bad!) on NCS, his instruction is to be able to get me to Cairns via Townsville.

Now confirmed (Thursday 16th) the parts have been ordered and here on Monday 20th, so we are on-track to get under-way again on the 23rd July.

Plus a Hughenden haircut today!! (Thursday 16th July) with the only Hairdresser in Town! I had no choice, but grinned and bore it! all including my eye-brows, ears and nostrils!! And I must tell you a super Haircut!

I have bumped into a local Guy, Tim Thomas (Who is a Cabinet Maker) and with a name like Thomas has Welsh ancestry through his father (a North Wallian), who has been great fun, he has bought a Baptist Church (I always wanted to meet someone who had bought a Church!) not only is Tim and his Pal Gordon Sollaye like-minded fella’s, and they both have a keen interest in Sightsavers and wishes to work for them in either Australia or the Philippines, so I have pointed them in the direction of HQ, so that they can follow their interest through. Tim also cooks a mean Rump Steak! And drinks a little!!

NCS; I have also scoured Hughenden for a broken down, clapped out Toyota Hiace, the same age as NCS, so that I can strip her naked of her engine and move it into NCS, but so far no luck!

Repairs are going to cost approx’ $A3,000 (£1,500) well within the initial budget I had set myself, so I am still in the frame, and she will be ready Tuesday 21st (with luck!). After giving her a thorough testing, I shall get on my way rejoicing (for Townsville) having had a good experience of a Township called Hughenden.

It has been suggested that NCS is an old banger (Hush! I have had to whisper that!) No! NCS is what I bought her with a view of usage for One year, she was a) the right price b) had all the fittings that I required and more c) has performed beautifully for 8,000 miles, and d) has only had faults due to the Garages that I have had to use, (in many cases the only garages available) so I have not lost my faith in my good friend, NCS.

To all of you, the people of Hugenden, that have assisted me, listened to me, bought me those beers, I Thank you Folks.

Funnies;
In the Newspaper a report about the Indian Army read as: - The Indian Army has spent $A263,000 on a fleet of “Silent Reconnaissance Vehicles” via their procurement office. Upon investigation it was revealed that they had purchased 22 Golf Buggies to patrol the Armies Golf Course in Channigarh!!! (and we thought we had problems?) the report goes on to relate other purchases i.e. Helicopters that were to patrol over the Himalayas but could only reach 5,000 mtrs (The ceiling is at 6,500 mtrs) The wrong size Artillery Shells that therefore could not be fired, and stretchers that were too small to accommodate bodies?

Went to the local Butchers and asked for ½ kilo of Minced Meat, also how do I cook it in a Micro-Wave? (have one in my Hotel room) he could serve the meat no problem! But how to cook? No answer!, but he did say if I discovered a way to let him know! Well I did it, cooked myself a meal of Minced Beef, Onion, Red Pepper, Olive Oil, Salt & Pepper a Suitable Garlic & Tomato Sauce (came out well after 3x5 minute cooks) and ate it with Flavoured Rice, delicious!! Then printed up the recipe and delivered it to the Butcher, who has pinned it to his wall. (Hope he sells a heap of Minced Meat on the back of that!)

Sign in Bar: “Definitely no dogs or Parrots Permitted” what had the parrots done I wondered?

We have “Come Dancing” (very genteel) here they have a TV programme called “Come Dance your ass off!” (It’s actually about losing weight!!)

Transport: Yes Mike! The price of Fuel is moving up, now at £0.75p per litre, no difference in what fuel you buy!

All goods are delivered throughout Australia by Road-Trains and in-built is an enormous cost for that service, therefore shopping in small towns where there is no competition, is very expensive, with a price surcharge as much as 20% above that of major towns.

There is a local Train service here, the trip to Townsville of only 240 miles, takes 10 hours, Yes! 10 hours, due to there being only one rail (to allow for oncoming & passing trains) and that the rail itself is a continuous rail, the speed limit is at 15 kph (9 mph max) as to go faster may well cause the line to buckle.


During the building of the Adelaide – Darwin railway line they started to build, one gang from the North, the other from the South, it was not until a number of trains were derailed, that they discovered that each gang used a different Steel in the railway line, thus causing it to buckle in the heat on the Northern sector!!

Weather: Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Winter is here, temperatures at at night time, have to don my Bobble hat, Pyjama’s, Woolie-Pullie’s, and thick Red socks (and that is only at night!) in the daytime it gets up to 26°.

These temps’ will last for a while, but will gradually moving upwards as we move into Spring in about six weeks time. My thick red socks which I now wear during the day, with Sandals, draw’s quite a few odd remarks!! (like he must be Welsh!)

Flora & Fauna: None to report on, having been exposed to the wild-life up to now in the Outback, things seem quite dull, No! wait a minute! I have spotted “Sparrows” good old normal sparrows, so it seems that as I move East life returns to normal, until I get there that is.

Weight: I have now reached the weight I was 40 years ago, 13 stone 3 Lb (Down from 15st 7lb), so I have decided to stabilise at that, before I slip down someone’s drain-pipe!

We will see how I have got on with NCS! and what has actually happened in my next Bulletin.

See you in Townsville?


Keep Well Folks.


Nigel JG.

No comments:

Post a Comment