Wednesday 17 June 2009

Thursday 18th June - Darwin

Hi Everyone,

Just back to Kununurra for a sec’, before the damming of the major water arteries that fed into a central waterway and which had become a mighty problem with constant flooding of the Town, the decision was made to build a Dam and therein the creation of Lake Argyle, which has now made Kununurra into a Major Tourist Resort, and a “Must stop Place” on the Victoria Highway, the Dam also provides Electricity and Irrigation for the population (60% of which are Tribal Peoples).

Should also mention the famed “Boab Tree” (Bottle Tree) which only grows in the Kimberley region and can age upto 2,000 years of age, they grow to enormous proportions, you can get 12 people holding hands around the girth of the trunk, the bark of the tree is 4 inches deep, after that it is a pulpy mash which can, and has been, literally tapped (Beer tap) for water. (Photo’s enroute) the branches grow from the neck of the tree, with flowers that remind me of Magnolia Trees and seeds that are like coconuts.

Then on into Timber Creek, (Home of the Ngaliwurrai Nungali peoples) just came into town to find it had had a power-cut and therefore no Petrol (Ugh!) and Victoria River (the next petrol stop) being 90 klicks away, as I have a reserve 5 gallon can of Gas, I made it! But only just!

Via Victoria River (Home of The Nungia Tribe) is a very nice township, a Farming Town, local markets, good Pub food (Wedding in progress) and of course, Petrol, and believe it or not Police-cars who proceeded to chase a motorist (Followed by me) for miles and miles, what fun!

Then into Katherine, 500 Klicks (300 Miles) later - (Home of The Jawoyn Tribe) - (That experiences regular flooding, depths of 10 metres at times, from the Katherine River that runs through the heart of the Town). A Major Regional Centre that they tell me caters for meeting the demands of the Tribal Peoples, and I believe it, the number of Legal offices advertising what service they can provide (at a price – someone is making oodles of cash out of other people misery!) were many.

A town with Traffic Lights!! a very strange phenomena, and one’s that the locals like to dodge (their Rat Runs).

Katherine and area, has I found a “No Alcohol Ban” for Tribal peoples being enforced, did it have any effect? methinks the answer is no! they will, and do, find a way around the ban and it is very evident when you visit town the following morning, they litter (as well as their rubbish) the parks and streets in a very drunken state.

The Visit to Katherine Gorge was truly amazing, back to what mother nature has done, bathing in the “Hot Springs” was terrific and the different people you meet from all over the World to chat too, whilst swimming, is an experience.

1st Funny: It was 400 klicks back from here that I gave a lift to 2 fellers (tribal speak!) 1 Full Blood, and a white Guy, the Tribal feller was “The Captain” the other was Steve the “Bushtucker-Man” boy! did they assail me on how they survive in the bush, Steve had been on the road for 7 years, living amongst the Tribal peoples, dinner last night (for them) was the Tail of a Wallabie fresh from a road kill, shades of Oxtail soup! Photos available soon.

Sightsavers: Presented on behalf of Sightsavers to the Katherine Lions Club, really nice people, with a donation being routed, also managed to get an interview with the “Katherine Times” (Edition on web asof 19th June) Jean Young is a stalwart of the Club, along with her Dog. (She did offer to give me cash! for some unknown reason I declined).

Driving: Petrol is now down to 62p per Litre and Road-Trains have increased both in number and size, I have mentioned traffic-lights earlier.

Wild-life: Fruit Foxes by the million, now seeing many new varieties of birds, The Barramundi Fish (Barra) - (Barramundi has to get a mention thrice cos’ it is the National Dish) and apart from Drinking & Fishing is the main love of an Australians life. (man or woman)

2nd Funny: Witnessed a Cattle round-up, on one camp-site where there were many cattle, we heard the sound of a Helicopter and boy! did the cattle know who is was, they all exited stage-right at some speed followed at close quarters by the Wasp Helicopter, about 500 cattle were last seen stampeding over the hill. What a sight to behold!

Modes of Travel: I have to tell you Guys that I have never seen such a variety of transport in my life as you see everyday here, from the one man/woman traveller in their Fiesta type car & tent, to the Gin Palaces of the Winnebago’s, (Some people have “Sold-Up” including their home, and taken to the open road, where they intend for the foreseeable future to remain) many tell me that they have been on the road for between 3 – 10 years, and Yes! I do believe that 50% of the Australian population are on the move at any one time.

Places of Interest: I did say earlier that this Blog is not a “Wish you were here” Blog, but I have visited many many tremendous places that I shall relate in due course, but all have been educational and wonderful.

NCS: She has had a new Fuel-Filter (A$20) and is running well and we are heading for Darwin, which I mentioned in my last Edition, and was always the major focus and target of this trip, having worked and lived in all the other Australian Capital Cities, this will complete and close the circle.

Photos: I owe you Guys an apology, “Sorry Folks!” but I need to just tell you that I have many many photo’s, (200++ in all) my problem has been my Laptop, which has really been messing me about, but the good news is that for $A100, I have had it deloused, decoked, they found 50 TrojanViruses which they have removed and doctored my laptop to work OK.

But, just in case, I have sent to my friend Martin in the UK a CD with 200 Photo’s that he is going to place on the Blog, these will be with you shortly, so thanks for bearing with me.

I now head for Darwin, which is 300 Klicks (180 Miles) away and where I intend to stay for a little while, I will give you the run-down of the City life in all its glories in the next edition.

Love you Guys


Nigel JG

No comments:

Post a Comment